You and your family spend approximately 90% of your time indoors, so indoor air quality is critical to ensure your optimal health and comfort. A simple visual home mould inspection from a Registered Home Inspector and Certified Master Inspector can visually identify any potential mould problem areas in your home.
Breathing difficulties and allergies are just a few of the health problems that can occur as a result of poor indoor air quality in your home. Poor ventilation, excess humidity, water leaks etc. are factors that can lead to unhealthy air quality. Mould (Canadian/British spelling) or mold (American spelling) fungi is often found growing in moist, damp or excessively humid spaces, such as, attics, bathrooms and basements.
Mould spores contain allergens and irritants that Health Canada considers a potential health risk. Coughing, wheezing and headaches are common symptoms that may be experienced if mould is present in a home. Asthma sufferers are particularly at risk to symptoms caused by mould in a home, as mould can trigger an asthma attack. Verifying the existance and type of mould discovered, air quality samples must be tested in a laboratory setting.
There are several things that you can do if you suspect mould may be in your home:
- Have a professional home inspection service from a Registered Home Inspector, with a focus on dampness/mould inspection.
- If mould is present in your home, use soap (detergent) and water to clean it up.
- Ensure your home has good ventilation and fresh air exchange – lack of fresh air can lead to excessive humidity. Fans or dehumidifiers can be used in parts of your home that are damp.
- Regularly change air filters – they collect dust and contaminants.
- Ensure air conditioners, humidifiers and de-humidifiers are properly cleaned and serviced – stale water in these units can lead to the growth of mould fungi. Keep the relative humidity in your home below 50% in the summer and 30% in the winter.
- Fix leaky roofs, walls, and basements, seal all ceiling junction boxes where an attic is above.
Contact your Hamilton home inspection service – BLT Home Inspections – today and arrange for your mould inspection.
Proudly serving Ancaster, Burlington, Hamilton, Stoney Creek and most of the Golden Horseshoe.